Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: CompilerPolicy Change

Frantisek Zatloukal wrote:
> I don't think we should force Fedora Contributors (Packagers) to
> change/fix their packages to compile with GCC if upstream decides,
> supports and tests GCC.

While that sentence parses, it fails the semantic analysis in my brain. ;-)
I think that either the second "GCC" is wrong here or you are missing a
negation somewhere.

> There are tons of gcc specific patches in chromium [0]

Hmmm, looks like the situation has worsened recently, several of those
patches are now downstream (or sidestream, e.g., copied from Gentoo).
Chromium used to actually commit compile fixes for newer GCC releases in its
master branch, just as projects using GCC primarily do as well, and the
GCC-related patches in the Fedora specfile were mostly backported from
there. What I see now makes me less happy.

That said, the Chromium package no longer carrying such patches is going to
make it harder for QtWebEngine to keep up with new GCC releases (and their
incompatible changes). QtWebEngine defaults to building everything including
the bundled Chromium fork with the toolchain Qt was built with. This is
obviously GCC, and not likely to change any time soon (unless the distrowide
default changes). When there is a build issue with a new GCC, chromium.spec
is the first place to look for a fix. If Chromium switches to being built
with Clang, the QtWebEngine maintainers will have to do all the work of
tracking down the build fixes for the latest GCC on their own.

Now, Qt upstream actually systematically tests building QtWebEngine with
GCC, so we do not have to apply so many GCC build fixes there. (They are
often already applied by Qt upstream.) The problem is just that Rawhide
typically has a newer GCC than the rest of the world.

But all that said, if the situation is really that Chromium requires so many
downstream patches to even compile with GCC, then it actually falls under
the already preexisting "upstream does not support GCC and/or the code does
not compile with GCC" exception and this change is actually not needed at
all for Chromium. The change only affects projects where upstream actually
supports both compilers, but prefers Clang for whatever reason. And there, I
do not think we should be bound by upstream's preference.

        Kevin Kofler