Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: CompilerPolicy Change

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020, 4:15 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 3:50 PM Simo Sorce <simo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2020-06-05 at 11:50 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 8:27 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Having worked in a distribution that uses Clang by default
> > > (OpenMandriva), I can say that this is *not true*. Switching from GCC
> > > to Clang cost OpenMandriva a lot of performance. It also cost them a lot of
> > > security hardening at the compiler level. GCC-built binaries are still
> > > better, and remain better as long as people are continually using and
> > > developing for it.
> > >
> > > This change appears to largely be driven by the maintainers of web
> > > browser packages that upstream have no GCC validation and it has to be
> >
> > Stop this.  This change is driven by the Red Hat toolchain team
> > directly, at their own realization that Fedora's compiler policy is
> > out of line with upstream reality today.  They suggested it, they
> > submitted it, and they are driving it.  Chromium is used as an example
> > only.  Please stop gaslighting why Changes are being submitted in
> > Fedora.
> >
> > Focus on the technical merits all you want.
>
> Hi Josh,
> I think (not sure, but I do) that you misread Neal message as accusing
> the Fedora packagers of Chromium, while I think Neal was blaming
> Chromium upstream for not caring about anything bug clang and making
> life hard downstream.

Precisely this. I was not accusing Fedorans of anything. And I still
think that the main motivation for the RH Tools team to propose this
is because of those specific upstreams. This stuff doesn't come out of
a vacuum after all.

> I do not know what is what at this point, but please let's all try to
> read positive intent first and explain each other.

I was particularly confused and hurt by the accusation, especially
since I almost never interact with Josh even when I want to. :(

Sincere apologies Neal.  I misread, overreacted, and took out Fedora frustrations on you.  I have no excuse.

I'm taking a break from Fedora for a while.

josh