Re: How to convert from GRUB to systemd-boot?

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 2:11 PM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 12:50 PM Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Responding to the list instead of personal...
>
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 1:33 PM Marius Schwarz <fedoradev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Am 04.06.20 um 15:04 schrieb Richard Shaw:
>> > Is there someone that can help me convert my Fedora install from GRUB
>> > to systemd-boot and actually get it where kernel updates won't break it?
>> >
>> How did you get your Fedora on that Surface if grub does not work?
>

> It will install fine, just not boot. Now when I say install "fine" I can't choose the installer at boot, I have to boot windows then do:
> Updates & Security -> Recovery -> Advanced
>
> Let it "shutdown" to the chooser screen and pick the whatever the alternative boot option is.

Let me explain a bit more, if I go through the above, Fedora is listed (in the Windows 10 recovery screen) but it will not work.

This tells me that the bootloader is in the correct location, but that
(a) the Fedora boot entry in NVRAM isn't persistent, (b) the firmware
is ignoring the boot entry in NVRAM, (c) the firmware expects to find
a specifically name bootloader. All of these are firmware bugs.

Everything looks good in efibootmgr, it just doesn't work. I think the problem is (b) or (c) or both.

I tried renaming the boot loader:

efibootmgr -b <num> -L "Windows Boot Loader"

But it appears to not have any effect.

I don't think sd-boot helps in this case. I'd say pick either sd-boot
or GRUB, it's hard enough to figure this stuff out without having two
bootloaders.

Well it does, but it doesn't :)

When I install sd-boot the Surface firmware will load it. But sd-boot requires all the kernels and such are on the FAT32 formatted ESP. It just doesn't like GRUB.

I think you have to figure out what the firmware wants. Either rename
the boot entry; or rename shim.efi to bootmgfw.efi (I think) or
possibly both. Or alternatively maybe the firmware's built-in boot
manager will let you choose. Sometimes it's called boot selection or
change boot order. Not every UEFI implementation has a built-in boot
manager but most do.

That's what I'm trying, but can't seem to rename the but loader entry.

Thanks,
Richard