Re: Proposal: Install gparted to Live installers

On 6/4/20 9:52 AM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:

I don't think we actually have the technical capability to ship it in live media without also installing it by default on the installed system.

It currently has to run as root, which is not acceptable, so would require some work to split out privileged operations into a separate backend process and use polkit for authentication. I think it would make more sense to focus on improving Disks to do what you need rather than rewriting GParted.

As far as I can tell, it's already using polkit. It asks for authentication before running. On the live image, the user doesn't have a password, so you might not see the dialog. (There was a bug with that previously.)