Re: Packages that failed to build with Python 3.9

On 31. 05. 20 12:49, Leigh Scott wrote:
Hello.

As you might already know, we have recently merged in the Python 3.9 side tag,
despite several builds have not succeeded. We always aim for some compromise
between having the side tag open for too long and having too many failures.

The packages, when not rebuilt, are not installable in rawhide, hence fixing
them should be our top priority. If you need help with Python related issues, we
(the Python Maintenance team at Red Hat) are happy to help. Unfortunately,
several packages fail to build for Python-unrelated reasons.

Some of the actual build failures already have a bugzilla open from our copr
rebuilds. Others don't have it yet because the error only manifested on some
architecture other than x86_64. I'll get back to this next week and open the
remaining bugzillas.

Most of the packages only fail to build because their dependencies were not yet
rebuilt. Chances are, you already got an automated bugzilla from Igor, that your
package fails to install. It would be really helpful if you could find the
missing dependency and mark the bugzilla for your package dependent on the
bugzilla for the missing dep. I slowly progress to do that as well, but your
help is crucial here.

Let me know if you have questions.

Even if the package builds it doesn't mean it's functional.

$ cinnamon-settings
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py", line 16, in <module>
     from setproctitle import setproctitle
ImportError: /usr/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/setproctitle.cpython-39-x86_64-linux-gnu.so: undefined symbol: Py_GetArgcArgv
[leigh@leigh ~]$ python
Python 3.9.0b1 (default, May 29 2020, 00:00:00)
[GCC 10.1.1 20200507 (Red Hat 10.1.1-1)] on linux
from setproctitle import setproctitle
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: /usr/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/setproctitle.cpython-39-x86_64-linux-gnu.so: undefined symbol: Py_GetArgcArgv
import setproctitle
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: /usr/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/setproctitle.cpython-39-x86_64-linux-gnu.so: undefined symbol: Py_GetArgcArgv

Note that python-setproctitle already failed to built with Python 3.8 and the "fix" was to comment out the tests:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/python-setproctitle/c/d6d9620c3c4fa076b62ddfa7fdc39b0f70597dd6?branch=master

Hence, it built with Python 3.9 even if it doesn't work at all.

--
Miro Hrončok