Re: Supporting hibernation in Workstation ed., draft 1

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 6:06 PM John M. Harris Jr <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense.

Disliking the story is not the same thing as it not making sense.
There isn't much I can do about the former, but if you have a specific
area where there is a lack of clarity, I'll try to clear it up.

>You can test hibernation right
> now, and it will work. When you boot back up, it'll have everything just as
> you left it. What systems is it broken on, those with Secure Boot?

Not broken, disabled. That's the policy both upstream and in Fedora.

>Is there
> something in GNOME that has changed in the past few releases which broke it?

No.

> I've just taken a Lenovo T500, installed GNOME Workstation and gone into
> hibernation. It took about 30 seconds to boot back in, but I was right where I
> left off. What exactly is broken, and for what portion of users?

I don't know  the Lenovo T500 firmware setup defaults. If it conforms
to Microsoft Windows (8 or later) hardware certification
specifications, then UEFI Secure Boot is enabled by default. And it
mean you changed the defaults to get the results you're experiencing,
thereby disabling a  significant feature the Fedora invested
significant resources to explicitly support.

--
Chris Murphy