Re: Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal: Drop mod_php

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 4:01 AM John M. Harris Jr <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thursday, May 28, 2020 11:59:41 PM MST Remi Collet wrote:
> > Le 29/05/2020 à 06:15, John M. Harris Jr a écrit :
> >
> > > Please do not drop mod_php. It is NOT the case that "php-fpm is already
> > > used  but most users of httpd and nginx without any issue."
> >

> > php-fpm is the default configuration for httpd and nginx for few versions
> >
> > nginx ONLY uses php-fpm
> >
> > mod_php is httpd only and prefork mode only
> > so without threaded MPM and without http2 support
> >
> > Please describe issues, I don't have any bug report about this.
> >
> > Remi
>
> Yes, nginx only uses php-fpm. But that has nothing to do with mod_php.
>
> The default doesn't matter, there's absolutely no reason to take away the
> sysadmin's choice here. There are at least 40 servers I personally am
> responsible for where I see no reason to move from mod_php to php-fpm, for
> example. If you don't want to maintain it, I'd be happy to do so. Many third
> party packages expect mod_php, and nearly all documentation for configuring
> httpd for Fedora, CentOS and RHEL goes through the use of mod_php. There is
> just no reason to break this. People who want php-fpm will stick with it, and
> others will continue to use mod_php as we have for the last decade+. Many
> servers do not need http2, or other new features. Many of us have something
> that works, and we'd like to keep it working.

As an (oft forgotten!) member of the PHP SIG, I'd like to point out
that part of what we're supposed to do is ship a PHP stack that
minimizes footguns and security nightmares. The PHP stack doesn't make
this easy as it is, and it's been relatively well-known for a while
now that running the interpreter in the same process as the webserver
is a bad idea. Virtually all other programming languages have made
that change in various forms: Python now works through WSGI or ASGI,
Perl uses either PSGI or CGI, Ruby operates through either Unicorn or
Puma typically, and for the past ten years, PHP has strongly
recommended using FastCGI or CGI over mod_php.

It is absolutely a good idea to take away this choice from our builds
when the advice from framework developers, ecosystem experts, and the
upstream developers is to *not* use mod_php. Fedora is in the business
of providing sane defaults and a high-quality package collection. Part
of the quality is removing footguns when they don't need to exist
anymore. We haven't shipped mod_php as the default setup for Apache +
php for several years now, as part of a plan to eventually get rid of
it.