Re: Does the installer detects when a distro have already created BLS?

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 11:21 AM Paul Dufresne via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well... it take time to me to get used to the Boot Loader Specification.
>
> I am being lazy here... asking people on the mailing list rather than trying to determine it myself.
>
> After making an installation of Fedora, I begin to think:
>
> Hey, I don't remember having seen the installer like detecting the use of a previously installed /boot and/or /boot/efi partition, and tells me that it will automatically use it by default.

Fedora isn't following the Boot Loader Spec exactly in all ways. The
installer doesn't support BLS with respect to $BOOT type codes: either
EFI System partition or the Extended Boot partition.

> But since with Boot Loader Specification, these are supposed to be shared among distribution (maybe more likely a recent Fedora version with an older Fedora version), it make sense that it should happens. Maybe I did not seen it because I tend to erase the disk and begin from scratch.

You didn't miss it. Fedora hasn't committed to it fully. What it's
mostly committed to are the BLS snippets, those are the individual
drop-in files that describe a boot entry to be displayed by GRUB.
There is also currently the use of variables stored in grubenv,
referenced by the BLS snippets, which isn't in the actual spec. That's
going away in F33, such that the BLS snippets completely describe the
boot entry details, i.e. are self-contained.

> "These directories are defined below the placeholder file system $BOOT. This placeholder file system shall be determined during installation time, and an fstab entry for it shall be created mounting it to /boot. The installer program should pick $BOOT according to the following rules:
>
> If the OS is installed on a disk with MBR disk label, and a partition with the MBR type id of 0xEA already exists it should be used as $BOOT.
> Otherwise, if the the OS is installed on a disk with MBR disk label, a new partition with MBR type id of 0xEA shall be created, of a suitable size (let's say 500MB), and it should be used as $BOOT.
> If the OS is installed on a disk with GPT disk label, and a partition with the GPT type GUID of bc13c2ff-59e6-4262-a352-b275fd6f7172 already exists, it should be used as $BOOT.
> Otherwise, if the OS is installed on a disk with GPT disk label, and an ESP partition (i.e. with the GPT type UID of c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b) already exists and is large enough (let's say 250MB) and otherwise qualifies, it should be used as $BOOT.
> Otherwise, if the OS is installed on a disk with GPT disk label, and if the ESP partition already exists but is too small, a new suitably sized (let's say 500MB) partition with GPT type GUID of bc13c2ff-59e6-4262-a352-b275fd6f7172 shall be created and it should be used as $BOOT.
> Otherwise, if the OS is installed on a disk with GPT disk label, and no ESP partition exists yet, a new suitably sized (let's say 500MB) ESP should be created and should be used as $BOOT.
>
> "
>
> So the question is basically, does the installer make the check for preexisting $BOOT ?

No. It also does not set any of those type codes such that they could
be identified subsequently.

--
Chris Murphy