Re: The price of FHS

On 5/22/20 8:48 PM, Parker Gibson wrote:
The issue I see is that no package management system I know of handles multiple so versions, they explicitly state packages conflict with each-other even if in principle the so versioning means they would not.

The example I gave is from my own system. IN this case package 'nettle' owns all those libs, but the scheme would work just fine if one package owned the 4.x libraries and another one owned 5.x libraries.

The scheme you are proposing is kind-of used for Java and Go, and is sometimes known as 'vendoring' because it allows publishing software in complete dependency bundles independent of anything else. It works as long as the vendor is diligent about keeping up with it, but it just doesn't scale and leads to a fragmented and redundant setup, with decaying software all over teh place in those package bundles.