Re: FreeCAD dist-git check, WAS:Re: Aggressive updating (Python 3.9): Are we trying to hard?

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 07:29:35PM +0200, Aleksandra Fedorova wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 7:04 PM Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 11:56 AM Aleksandra Fedorova <alpha@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> To run the command above as the integration test you need to put
> >> tests/tests.yml file in dist-git repo with the following content:
> >>
> >> - hosts: localhost
> >>   roles:
> >>   - role: standard-test-basic
> >>     tags:
> >>     - classic
> >>     tests:
> >>     - simple:
> >>         dir: .
> >>         run: "FreeCAD -t 0"
> >>
> >> Note how here you will be using the install FreeCAD binary, not the local one.
> >

> > Is this only run on "real" builds, or is it possible to run locally or for scratch builds?
>
> We run it for pull-requests and for "real builds.
>
> It runs in the following way:
>
> 1) we take latest Fedora Rawhide qcow image,
> 2) we run virtual machine via qemu-kvm from it,
> 3) inside the vm we install the package,
> 4) we run the command defined by "run" key in that YAML file.
>
> And it is all orchestrated by Ansible.
>
> It is possible to reproduce the test locally with all the CI wrappers
> around it, but I wouldn't recommend it. To debug the test I would just
> run the VM with the same Rawhide image [1], install the package and
> run the test command manually.

I'd like to point out that there is a difference in the enviroments between
these two approaches.

While the manual procedure only installs a binary package (and its
dependencies), the OSCI procedure installs all binary packages produced by the
source package (and their depenencies).

In case of freecad, it does not matter, because the freecad component has only
one binary package. But in general it's not true.

And here I'd like to ask Aleksandra whether the same applies to modules or
not. In general case, a module build produces two binary modules - a non-devel
module and a devel module. Does OSCI install components from both of them? And does
it install the components explicitly, or does it rather install a default
profile of the module ("dnf module install" command)?

-- Petr