Re: Aggressive updating (Python 3.9): Are we trying to hard?

Am 19.05.20 um 14:56 schrieb Igor Raits:
> I think we should get people who maintain Qt on board when updating
> Python so that they make sure to backport necessary patches from
> upstream when we upgrade Python.

Yeah, I think Richard got pretty unlucky when it comes to PySide2 (though
congrats for his efforts - not a small feat).

Historically PySide is lagging quite a bit behind in terms of Python 3 support
and iirc most (all?) development is done by the QT Company so it works pretty
much like other closed-source company projects (commercial priorities, wait
for stuff to stabilize, only adopt new versions when necessary).

On top PySide2 (and QT) are really a massive amount of complicated code so
just adding a quick Python 3.9 fix is not going to work.

So PySide2 is likely a package which gets the heat from updating QT AND Python...

However: Thank you Richard for taking care of PySide2. I contributed (tiny
bits) to Fedora's PySide/Shiboken packages in the past and I can only guess
how many hours you spent to get the new versions into Fedora.

Felix

PS: And to make things worse I'm not sure how this could work in the future if
the QT Company actually restricts releasing the QT source code by 12 months
(AFAIK this is a rumor and not confirmed).