Re: Re-Launching the Java SIG

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 07:54:42PM -0500, Ty Young wrote:
> Surely it is the responsibility of those who want such a change to
> make sure that everything that existed before can continue to exist? I
> realize this requires that such arguments are being made in good faith
> and consider the perspectives and needs of everyone, which they
> aren't.

Yes, exactly, it requires arguments being made in good faith, and
considering the needs and perspectives of others.

...You would do well to practice what you preach.

I might add that even when your needs and perspectives are duly
considered, it does not follow that the outcome will be something you
are necessarily satisfied with.  Engineering is all about balancing
tradeoffs, after all.

Meanwhile, "everything before" continues to exist and works as well as
the day it was released.  Nobody here is forcing you to use anything
more recent; you're free to adapt that older source code to your needs,
or pay someone else to do it for you.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)