Re: Many packages unnecessarily link to libpython

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 02:12:00PM -0400, Charalampos Stratakis wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> As of Python 3.8, python C extensions modules should not link to libpython, unless they embed the interpreter in their code. Relevant upstream PR: https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/12946
> If your package links to libpython without requiring it, it won't be possible to use the python3-debug binary with your python C extension, unless you recompile the extension against it.
>
> On Fedora Rawhide, there are at this point 144 packages linking to libpython, many of those possibly without any need for it.
>
> If your package links to libpython but it does not embed the interpreter, I would like to ask you to unlink it. Usually the fix needs to be done at the package's build system.
>
> If you are not sure if your package links to libpython, a way to figure this out  is to inspect the code for the Py_Initialize and the Py_Finalize calls [0]. If the code includes those calls, no action is required from your side. If it does not, linking to libpython is not required.
>
> I might mass file bugzillas at a later date, but I wanted to provide you the heads up before that.
>
> [0] https://docs.python.org/3/c-api/init.html#initializing-and-finalizing-the-interpreter
>
> List of possibly affected packages, provided through $ repoquery --repo=rawhide --source --whatrequires 'libpython3.8.so.1.0()(64bit)'
>
> Maintainers by package:
...snip...

>kevin      calibre collectd fontforge thunarx-python

calibre has Py_Initialize / Py_Finalize.

collectd has Py_Initialize / Py_Finalize.

fontforge has Py_Initialize / Py_Finalize.

thunarx-python has Py_Initialize / Py_Finalize.

I assume you all are keeping a whitelist or something for this?
(so you don't file bugs on the ones already checked).

Thanks for the notice!

kevin