Re: Many packages unnecessarily link to libpython

On 15. 05. 20 20:12, Charalampos Stratakis wrote:
Hello everyone,

As of Python 3.8, python C extensions modules should not link to libpython, unless they embed the interpreter in their code. Relevant upstream PR:https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/12946
If your package links to libpython without requiring it, it won't be possible to use the python3-debug binary with your python C extension, unless you recompile the extension against it.

On Fedora Rawhide, there are at this point 144 packages linking to libpython, many of those possibly without any need for it.

If your package links to libpython but it does not embed the interpreter, I would like to ask you to unlink it. Usually the fix needs to be done at the package's build system.

If you are not sure if your package links to libpython, a way to figure this out  is to inspect the code for the Py_Initialize and the Py_Finalize calls [0]. If the code includes those calls, no action is required from your side. If it does not, linking to libpython is not required.

I might mass file bugzillas at a later date, but I wanted to provide you the heads up before that.

[0]https://docs.python.org/3/c-api/init.html#initializing-and-finalizing-the-interpreter

List of possibly affected packages, provided through $ repoquery --repo=rawhide --source --whatrequires 'libpython3.8.so.1.0()(64bit)'

This is a list of packages that require libpython3.8.so.1.0()(64bit) but don't requires python(abi) (well, list of the components):

blender
calamares
cantor
collectd
freecad
gdb
getdp
glade
globus-net-manager
gplugin
hexchat
insight
Io-language
kdevelop-python
kig
kitty
krita
libpeas
libsigrokdecode
nautilus-python
nbdkit
nextpnr
nwchem
paraview
perl-Inline-Python
pidgin
postgresql
pynac
pyotherside
python-caja
renderdoc
scribus
sigil
swift-lang
syslog-ng
texworks
thunarx-python
trellis
vdr-epg-daemon
vim
weechat
znc

Those are more likely to actually link to libpython for a good reason.

--
Miro Hrončok