Re: ELN Reasons (was Re: Proposal: Revise FESCo voting policy)

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 08:01:29AM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > * Having a buildroot called "EL Next" means that Fedora gets in the business
> >   of composing the development version of RHEL in addition to the
> >   development version of Fedora. I do not see how this is the job of Fedora
> >   and Fedora maintainers. RHEL should be developed on RHEL infrastructure,
> >   by RHEL maintainers only.
>
> That sounds like the exact opposite of open source, to me. The entire
> point of this exercise is to do *less* work out of the public eye. The
> set of people who would be doing this work behind the firewall are now
> going to be instructed to work in Rawhide (and, by extension, ELN) to
> prepare for future versions of RHEL. This will also give the community
> at large more opportunity to influence the eventual RHEL 9 (and
> onwards) content and design.
>
> So, new issues that are discovered while building for a RHEL prototype
> will be far more visible and can be addressed earlier, either by the
> community maintainer or the RHEL maintainer working in the Fedora
> environment.

Yes. As long as ELN doesn't disrupt normal Fedora packaging (which is
what the discussion after the change was proposed was to a large
extent was about, and which I think we have safeguarded properly in
the latest iterations), having another downstream is great for Fedora.
Every time some group of people decides to build another downstream
from Fedora, we should welcome that. The point of Fedora is not just
Fedora, but allowing people to build their own solutions. Also, "with
enough eyes, all bugs are shallow".

> > I also think that there needs to be a limit to how many times a rejected
> > change gets resubmitted. It is just not acceptable to retry and retry until
> > the vote ends up the way you want it to.
>
> I disagree with this, mainly because FESCo rarely rejects a Change
> *outright*. It's usually rejected for specific reasons. (E.g. it
> doesn't have a contingency plan or the proposed design would cause
> harm/regressions to a large subset of the Fedora community that
> outweighs the benefit). Any such Changes are welcome to be resubmitted
> as many times as necessary *provided that they have materially changed
> the sections resulting in the earlier rejection*.

I disagree too. This isn't particularly relevant to this case (since
this particular Change was proposed once, discussed once albeit quite
verbosely, and voted once). But even if somebody did resubmit the same
proposal a few times, voting -1 is always a very easy thing.

Zbyszek