Re: armv7l status?

> > Also, multilib for aarch64 + armv7hl is not "A Thing" (TM), IIRC
> > because no aarch64 hardware really supports that.
> >

> There is hardware that does support it, but we pretend they don't
> exist in Fedora. After all, the Raspberry Pi is an example of this.

No, there's HW that will run in ARMv7 mode or aarch64 mode but not
always at the same time, for example you use you have to set a flag in
the config.txt so it will run in aarch64 mode when it boots.

The architectures are also not compatible, in the case of x86_64 it's
a super set of x86 adding 64bit instructions as an extension to the 32
bit architecture so 32bit is guaranteed to be there when you have an
x86_64 chip where on Arm they are two bits of silicon on the same
chip, the ISA is different and the 64 bit architecture isn't a
superset of the 32 bit architecture. On a ARMv8 chip the 32 bit
silicon is optional, some silicon vendors, such as the SoCs in the
Raspberry Pi 3 and 4 have it but there's a lot that don't, and newer
gens of chips will even reduce this more.

So while there are some that can run both 32 bit and 64 bit code side
by side it's not multilib in the traditional x86 sense where they run
side by side because the instructions are the same and can be queued
to run on the same silicon. There is no way to tell until the code
tries to run whether the chip is capable of this so you could use a
aarch64 bit dnf/rpm stack to install ARMv7 binaries only to have them
fail when you try to run them (or in rpm post install scripts) which
gives a terrible experience. Or if you have a VM that migrates from
one platform to another which doesn't support it and things start to
break. The multilib support, even in x86, is pretty glued together
with exceptions all over the place, so the cost vs benefit of actually
supporting this in any level of sane manner was considered not worth
it.

Peter