Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2020-05-11)

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 09:11:32PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> > Yep. There's also /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf, where systemd-resolved
> > always exposes a list (with the limitations described above).
>
> I wasn't aware of that file... to me, that's a rather obscure location
> (and I didn't find it mentioned anywhere in the change proposal).  I
> think having it (or at least having it symlinked to by something) in the
> more "usual" location, /etc, would be better.  Something like
> /etc/resolv.conf.upstream?  I don't know, I'm really bad at naming
> things. :)
The file is created dynamically at runtime, so symlinking from /etc has
the downside that you'd get a dangling symlink if systemd-resolved is not
running. The name would be "new" anyway, and we can document the name
under /run just as well as any name under /etc. So I don't think adding
a symlink in /etc/ is useful.

I added the following to the Change page:
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Changes%2Fsystemd-resolved&type=revision&diff=576142&oldid=576137

> And while I get that the multi-VPN thing is an important use case, I'd
> also wager it's a fairly small use case, so not super important to the
> people that want to query "real" DNS servers (which I grant is also a
> small use case, but I'm just saying it's definitely non-zero and worth
> considering).
Right. Sadly dig doesn't seem to have an option to specify resolv.conf
path, and host also doesn't. I guess it would be a useful addition esp.
in case of dig.

> Even better would be a standard location (and maybe even defaulting it
> to be symlinked to /etc/resolv.conf if systemd-resolved is not in use),
> plus trying to get upstreams for common utilities like "dig" to learn
> about the alternate (at least with an easy-to-use option).
If systemd-resolved is not in use, then most likely you want something
else to manage that file, e.g. NetworkManager. In other words, if
systemd-resolved is not "on", then we want to fall back to what we do
currently, and we don't want systemd-resolved to touch that file at
all.

Zbyszek