Re: What is force erasing python 2 packages like moin?

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 01:47:32AM +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> On 10. 05. 20 20:48, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Basically we are switching from 'I go and install
> > fedora-obsolete-packages and have opted in to it' to 'I have to go
> > explictly exclude it to keep my obsolete packges'.
>
> As others have pointed out, this was never the case of 'I go and install
> fedora-obsolete-packages and have opted in to it' -- this was always the
> case of 'fedora-obsolete-packages obsoletes something I had installed, so it
> is pulled in by dep resolver'.

ok. Fair enough, I misunderstood how this package worked.

That perhaps explains why I didn't see more people asking for it to be
installed by default. :)

> Is this ideal? No. But it has not been changed. (The changed part is
> fedora-obsolete-packages does not get installed in the process.)
>
> A better solution to the problem fedora-obsolete-packages is trying to solve
> would be to use allowerasing on system-upgrade, but that is another can of
> worms, because it also removes packages that have broken dependencies, but
> were not intentionally removed.

Well, that doesn't handle all the use cases either. Really we need to
know from the user if thats ok or not. Some users (as is evidenced by
this thread) want to keep their obsolete packages.

> The idea solution IMHO would be to allow erasing only the packages that do
> not belong to a distupgrade repository. Possibly to have that option only
> for the Fedora repos, so packages installed from a thrid-party would not get
> erased.

I don't think that would be ideal either.

I think we would need to ask the user and explain... but it gets really
complex to figure out why some things would need removed.

Anyhow, I will drop this thread myself now, if we see a lot of people
complaining about the present behavior we can revist this, but seems
most people are fine with obsoleted packages just getting removed on
upgrades.

kevin