Re: Is dist-git a good place for work?

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 3:29 PM Ondřej Lysoněk <olysonek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This "rebase all PRs" thing seems to be a recurring theme... What is the
> reason to ask contributors to rebase? (I mean, are we trying to go back
> to the days of centralized version control systems?)
>
> In my experience, there is rarely a good reason to rebase (rebasing
> because the CI system tests the contributor's branch rather than the
> resulting merge is not a good reason; the CI system should be fixed
> instead) and asking everyone to rebase just slows things down. Please
> let's not go down that road, if possible.

Agreed on the CI part. That should either be available for
configuration to the maintainers or be strictly set to rebase the PR
against master before building and testing it. One thing to note here
if you want to allow contributors to change CI and build system
configuration.

One strong argument for rebasing PRs is to have a clean upstream git history.

> Other than that, I like the idea of source git and I'm looking forward
> to using it, once the synchronization issues are resolved. Thanks for
> working on it.

Thank you for your interest!

Tomas