Re: Is dist-git a good place for work?

Tomas Tomecek <ttomecek@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Thank you all for raising all the questions and concerns.
>
> Before I reply, I'd like to stress that we are still in a prototype
> phase - not everything is solved (clearly) and at this point, we
> experiment with the workflow mostly.
>
> Luckily, force-pushes are not allowed in dist-git, which makes the
> update/sync process easier (knowing that history cannot be changed).
> Therefore when a new commit lands in dist-git, we'd just "transform"
> it to source-git and pushed it to the source-git repo. We could even
> ask all the contributors to rebase their PRs when this happens.

This "rebase all PRs" thing seems to be a recurring theme... What is the
reason to ask contributors to rebase? (I mean, are we trying to go back
to the days of centralized version control systems?)

In my experience, there is rarely a good reason to rebase (rebasing
because the CI system tests the contributor's branch rather than the
resulting merge is not a good reason; the CI system should be fixed
instead) and asking everyone to rebase just slows things down. Please
let's not go down that road, if possible.

Other than that, I like the idea of source git and I'm looking forward
to using it, once the synchronization issues are resolved. Thanks for
working on it.

Ondřej Lysoněk