Re: Is dist-git a good place for work?

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 5:43 PM Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This may not be related enough to discuss here so I'll take it to another thread if needed, but...
>
> One thing that really bugs me is there's still a catch-22. When you're working on a new package there is no "git" to work with. I used to just install all the -devel packages and work with rpmbuild directly but you have to override the default:
>
> rpmbuild/{BUILD,BUILDROOT,SPECS,SOURCES,RPMS,SRPMS} mess
>
> For the longest time I at least overrode it so it wouldn't mix everything together by putting the package name in the mix: rpmbuild/<pkg>/...
>
> But that's still not ideal, so I started creating pagure projects to get me a fedpkg like experience, however, rpmbuild still pollutes the directory as I haven't found the perfect .rpmmacros setup, but nothing "fedpkg clean -x" doesn't clean up.
>
> Once a package is accepted I import it into dist-git and delete the pagure project. I know some people just initialize a git repo manually...
>
> All that to say it would be nice to have a well documented workflow from start to finish.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

Richard, thanks for describing your experience.

I actually agree with you that the way of adding new packages is not ideal.

For me, I always begin in a git repo which in the end hopefully turns
into the dist-git repo, or recently, create a source-git repo and host
it on github and just let packit sync the content to dist-git.

As we can see, based on all the responses, we all do it differently -
it would be awesome to have an efficient default which would work for
the all of us.

Tomas