RE: [External] Re: Fedora+Lenovo

Hi Alexander,

Pricing is fascinating. I've been trying to find out what the pricing is going
to be on these platforms and how it is determined is really quite curious.
Suffice to say - I don't understand it either 😊

> One thing that I'd like to see, is linux support for the "energy
> manager" features - it's pretty much the only reason I've allowed
> windows to take up space on my laptops and I know I'm not the only
> one. I think that someone had written a kernel module that somehow
> managed to communicate with the battery controller, but since it's out
> of tree and we get quite a lot of kernel updates in Fedora, it's no
> fun rebuilding everything every 2-3 days. Is that something that's
> pretty standard among different model lines?
Interesting. We have a feature coming out soon that I think will give you
some of what you want. I've been working on a kernel driver to make it
more user friendly and that will go upstream eventually (if it's accepted).

If there's any projects that are out there and that with some help from
Lenovo would be good to get upstream let me know. Our kernel technical
experience is still limited (working on that!) but the RH guys have been
amazing for helping us.

> Oh and another thing, which is a peeve with laptop keyboards in
> general. I make full use of pretty much every key on a standard
> keyboard and I usually map the compose key to scroll lock, which I use
> a lot. Whenever I have to move to a laptop, I feel like someone has
> chopped off one of my limbs and seeing dedicated keys for things like
> recording and streaming one's gaming session drive me mad. About a
> decade and a half ago, there were distributions that offered a
> rudimentary UI to do key remapping, but along the way, as linux went
> through different methods to manage input devices, that sort of thing
> was dropped. Now that evdev seems to be with us for the foreseeable
> future, is there any chance you might consider such a feature, perhaps
> in collaboration with GNOME? Even if it's something buried under 15
> menus in Tweaks, I'd be happy.

I'm expecting to get yelled at as the super key will still have the windows
logo on it - not able to change that yet I'm afraid
We have some engineers in Japan who have been looking at those "hotkeys"
and getting that functionality into Linux so they work. Not exactly the same
as what you're asking for but in the same areas so I'll send this on their way and
see what they think.
 My understanding is xorg was hard to do any of the remapping stuff but
wayland is much better. Not something I've looked at myself though

Mark