Re: Fedora+Lenovo

Hi Mark,

And welcome aboard.
I've been using a tweaked Legion Y520-15IKBN for a year and a half now
and I'm a happy camper. I can't say that I understand hardware
vendors' marketing decisions, like putting a heftier price tag on a
"professional" machine, whereas a "gaming" laptop with the same specs
costs almost 1000€ less, but this particular Legion model line is
pretty inconspicuous, so you can work anywhere, without people
staring.

One thing that I'd like to see, is linux support for the "energy
manager" features - it's pretty much the only reason I've allowed
windows to take up space on my laptops and I know I'm not the only
one. I think that someone had written a kernel module that somehow
managed to communicate with the battery controller, but since it's out
of tree and we get quite a lot of kernel updates in Fedora, it's no
fun rebuilding everything every 2-3 days. Is that something that's
pretty standard among different model lines?

Oh and another thing, which is a peeve with laptop keyboards in
general. I make full use of pretty much every key on a standard
keyboard and I usually map the compose key to scroll lock, which I use
a lot. Whenever I have to move to a laptop, I feel like someone has
chopped off one of my limbs and seeing dedicated keys for things like
recording and streaming one's gaming session drive me mad. About a
decade and a half ago, there were distributions that offered a
rudimentary UI to do key remapping, but along the way, as linux went
through different methods to manage input devices, that sort of thing
was dropped. Now that evdev seems to be with us for the foreseeable
future, is there any chance you might consider such a feature, perhaps
in collaboration with GNOME? Even if it's something buried under 15
menus in Tweaks, I'd be happy.

Best regards