RE: [External] Re: Fedora+Lenovo

Hi Björn and Solomon,

Ah...straight into the easy questions then 😃I was expecting to get beaten
up in the RH summit over this one

Linux WWAN is hard for us to do correctly - but we are working on it.
As you know the card is setup to work in PCIe mode and we haven't been
able to get support for the vendor for that upstream. I've seen the changes
posted to get it working on the USB bus - but our HW engineers don't support
using it that way.
There is also the problem of FCC regulations on many of our laptops. There is a
lock required to make sure it's not tampered with and we have to be able to
control the transmission power depending on if you're holding the laptop or not.
There isn't any support in Linux for that yet.

For the X1C8 and probably our other 2020 platforms we're using a different part
and
1) There will be kernel support for it implemented by the vendor
2) We have some engineers working on a DPR utility
For full disclosure - the big sucky thing about the DPR utility is it has to be closed
source as it has a closed source binary library from the vendor that we can't do
anything about; So it won't be making it's way into the F32 image. But we do plan
on making it available to customers as something they can install afterwards.

I'm genuinely open to discussions on alternatives - WWAN is not something I know
lots about and the above is based on discussions with the HW/driver team. If there's an
expert out there who wants to bend my ear on everything I've got wrong then let me
know - though your argument has to be good enough to convince Lenovo lawyers
that they won't get into trouble with the FCC.

Hope that helps a little bit.
Mark