I usually get the itch to upgrade at least one canary machine around the beta time, once the add-on packages from places like rpmfusion and negativo17 get built.  And then upgrade the rest between the lull between the GO announcement and actual publication.

I don't mind dealing with occasional problems, but I haven't really had to do that this cycle at all.  Very smooth, which is astounding considering the breadth of stuff that exists in Fedora and how fast it all moves.

Marty

On 4/30/20 8:30 AM, Alex Scheel wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Josh Boyer" <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Development discussions related to Fedora" <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Florian Muellner" <fmuellne@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 9:04:12 PM
Subject: Re: Backports of fixes from F32 -> F31?
Just a curious observation/question.  Backports can often be time
consuming and expensive.  Is there something preventing you from
upgrading to Fedora 32?
I don't know about Alex, but in general, upgrading can also be time
That's why I was asking Alex :)
Sure :-)

I have four systems in my house running Fedora. Two I've updated to F32
because I don't care if I lose personal time to messing around with F32
the day of the release. That's how I've been able to confirm it fixes
this bug.

A third is my router-desktop. Rarely used with a display and affects other
people if I slow reboot it for upgrade + relabel. Bug isn't a problem there.

But my work laptop on F31 is where I spend 80% of my time. Its the most...
temperamental of the machines. F31 has been more stable than 29 or 30 before
it. Until I know F32 is stable on the others, I'm not going to update it.
I'll probably wait for the next company holiday or a weekend.

---

And yeah, agreed. Backports are time consuming. But this is F31, not F30.
There's at least another 6 months of support on this distro (technically...)
and as referenced on that ticket, I'm not the only one that has hit it;
there's about 10 people CC'd or replying saying they're affected.

Plus -- all I'm looking for is a yes/no. Is that too much to ask a
maintainer? :-)

-- Alex