Re: Renaming pythonXY packages to pythonX.Y (e.g. python39 to python3.9)

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 at 18:44, Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 29. 04. 20 21:42, Lloyd Kvam wrote:
>> What you say is true. I still don't agree that "python3.9" as a package name
>> annoys humans.
> I am not a package pro, but simply reading along as an interested human user. To me, adding
> periods in package names can be confusing.

My sentence was about "python3.9" not being more annoying than "python-3.9".

I wonder, why do you consider periods in names confusing?

We have around ~100 source package names with dot. Most of them have versions, e.g.:

clang9.0

The standard confusing part is if you are used to seeing a . only in the version or release parts.. you scan down and see

dotnet3.1-3.1.2-40

my usual mistake is where I do a stupid programming and do something like

ls -1 | awk '{split($0,a,"."); print a[1]}' | whatever I needed for just the names of rpms

which for most packages will give me the Name-Ver[.sion removed]. it is lazy script programming but it works often enough that my brain wants it to work all the time than doing something like

ls -1 *rpm | xargs rpm --qf='%{NAME}\n' -qp | whatever i needed for just the names of the rpms.

dotnet3.1
freerdp1.2
llvm5.0
llvm6.0
llvm9.0
jboss-jsf-2.1-api
jboss-jsf-2.2-api
jboss-jsp-2.2-api
jboss-jsp-2.3-api

Some use dot as a separator, e.g.:

R-R.utils
R-data.table
R-futile.logger
R-futile.options
R-gamlss.dist
R-lambda.r
R-statnet.common
openoffice.org-diafilter
python-boolean.py

> I will adjust to whatever you decide to do, and I am not informed enough to want a vote in how
> this decision comes down, but I do not see an advantage to this sort of change.

The biggest advantage I see is getting closer to upstream.

The command that the user executes is "python3.9", not "python39".

I know no other place in the Python ecosystem where Python 3.9 is called
"python39" than the names of RPM packages (or other Linux distro packages).

I've googled "python36", "python37" etc. and all I could find was
Fedora/RHEL/CentOS related (or AUR). We have invented that naming ourselves and
we don't like being different :)

(There is the "py39" short identifier used e.g. in tox, but not "python39".)

--
Miro Hrončok
--

Stephen J Smoogen.