Re: Renaming pythonXY packages to pythonX.Y (e.g. python39 to python3.9)

On 29. 04. 20 19:50, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
I don't agree that "python3.9" as a package name annoys humans or
break  automation scripts. How does it?
As soon as you have a different naming convention for numeric and non
numeric qualifiers all the code that manipulates your package names
must test if the qualifier is numeric or not, to add the hyphen or not.

It is much simpler to just assume -<qualifier> everywhere, without
testing <qualifier> in any way.

That’s why

%package XXX

will create foo-XXX by default, and not ask you to split hairs and test
if XXX is numeric or not (yes the hyphen separator is built in rpm core
logic)

What you say is true. I still don't agree that "python3.9" as a package name annoys humans. And I don't understand what kind of automation are we talking about that needs to parse the "3.9" part and figure out it is a "qualifier".

Such automation is broken anyway, because it cannot tell if python-requests is a Python library or a Python "qualifier".

--
Miro Hrončok