Re: What CPU extensions can we assume are available by arch?

* Richard Shaw:

> I'm working on packaging a project that makes use of AVX/AVX2/NEON to process and
> improve the quality of low bitrate human speech:
>
> https://github.com/mozilla/LPCNet
>
> I'm having trouble determining what the base CPU targets for Fedora can accommodate.
>
> For example, ss it safe to assume AVX2 on x86_64?

No (although the builders support it).

You can assume SSE2, but nothing more recent.

The glibc dynamic loader can select different library versions based on
the ISA support level, but that this is more of a theory at this point
because there are no useful, well-documented selection criteria.

> At this time upstream only supports AVX/AVX2/NEON, but if they did add
> support for SVE on aarch64, can I use it?

No.  I don't think the builders support it yet.

> What about VSX on ppc64le?

Yes, but only the parts that are in POWER8.

> It doesn't look like I have any options on s390x since the base is
> "-march=zEC12+" which from what I can tell doesn't support the
> extended intrinsics required.

Yes, vectorization is added in z13 (with more extensions in later ISAs).
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 is built for z13, so it may make sense to
have conditionals that automatically detect this.

Thanks,
Florian