Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: systemd-resolved

* Lennart Poettering:

> Long story short: if you experienced issues with DNSSEC on with
> resolved today, then be assured that with DNSSEC off things are much
> much better, and that's how we'd ship it in Fedora if it becomes the
> default.

Would you please clarify what switching DNSSEC off means?  Just no
validation, or no DNSSEC support at all?

I'm worried that the following scenario will break: A Fedora system on a
uses a DNSSEC-capable resolver (validating or not) and performs its own
DNSSEC validation, using data obtained by contacting the name servers in
/etc/resolv.conf.  (/etc/resolv.conf is managed by NetworkManager or
cloud-init in this scenario.)

Since /etc/resolv.conf is already managed, I expect that after the
upgrade, systemd-resolved will be active, with the same upstream
recursive resolvers as before.  The new /etc/resolv.conf contents will
point to the local systemd-resolved DNS service, though.

If systemd-resolved is not DNSSEC-aware with DNSSEC=off on the DNS
interface, this will break DNSSEC validation in the application.  It
requires an explicit configuration change to fix.

In the past, caching resolvers have dealt with this situation by having
separate caches for DO (DNSSEC answer OK) or CD (Checking Disabled)
queries.  This allows non-DNSSEC operations to continue even if the
DNSSEC side is broken, so it is safe to enable it by default.  It would
also ensure that the configuration sketched above would not break (at
least not for this reason).

Thanks,
Florian