Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change Proposal: ELN Buildroot and Compose V4

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 1:13 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 07. 04. 20 12:18, Aleksandra Fedorova wrote:
> >> What I'm confused about is the hangup with versioning the ELN tree.
> >> Why is this a problem?
> > I explained it in one of the previous threads:
> >
> > https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/OQ7BW5RFQDJYLPTB6G5XBZSIYDXKK5AW/
> >
> > But I guess we need to extend this conversion by answering:
> > 1) versioning of what exactly?
> > 2) versioning by which number?
> >
> >  From the problem you describe, it looks like the solution for it is to
> > have %{?dist} resolved to a versioned data. But the versioning here
> > should be independent from both RHEL and Fedora versioning. It should
> > be based on changes in eln buildroot configuration itself: As soon as
> > we want to have a non-disruptive rebuild in eln buildroot, we
> > increment the number in %{?dist} for eln, and rebuild the same srpm.
> > And this action is not linked to Fedora or RHEL releases. This number
> > may as well be the date, or a simple counter.
> >
> > If we do versioning in this way, then it resolves both concerns I had
> > in my reply there:
> > 1) we don't try to link to particular RHEL release;
> > 2) we don't version the koji tag and target, and we don't need to
> > update Koji configuration every time Fedora creates a branch. Thus the
> > pipelines we create for building eln packages can still be
> > unversioned.
>

> What you say here is very inconsistent with %{eln} and %{rhel} value. In
> particular "the versioning here should be independent from RHEL" and "we don't
> try to link to particular RHEL release" is very weird considering that %{eln}
> and %{rhel} will evaluate to "next RHEL version".

You are right. Originally we were thinking of %{eln} as a boolean,
rather than a meaningful data. So the important part was that we set
it to something, so that in those very rare cases where we may want to
have a condition based on eln, we can use it.
We defined %{eln} to be "something", and that something just happened
to be %{rhel}.

But since we are talking about versioning for eln now, it makes sense
to use this macro to store the actual data about eln buildroot.

So I am thinking of adjusting the change in the following form:

----
* %{rhel} will be set and will return a number one higher than the
most recent major release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (at present,
that will be 9).
* %{eln} will be set and will expand to the ELN version (independent
of Fedora and RHEL) in a format "X.Y".  X will be bumped for mass
rebuilds, Y - for other changes.
* %{dist} will be set to "eln%{eln}"

Explicit usage of %{eln} macro in spec files should be discouraged. As
its main purpose is the versioning of the build environment, not
adjusting the sources.
----

This way we can experiment with the configuration ELN-buildroot
without bumping package sources.

And we will have RHEL versioning available, but not directly, which
adds some flexibility in relation between ELN and RHEL.

> --
> Miro Hrončok
> --
> Phone: +420777974800