Re: Self Introdction: nick black

Richard Shaw left as an exercise for the reader:
> Up to you which way to go... I don't see packaging it in RPM Fusion as a
> problem. I would think most people who would be interested in this package
> would likely not have a problem enabling RPM Fusion.

So, if you've seen the demo, that's not really at all the
intended usage. The main goal is to facilitate really attractive
versions of things like GTop, htop, s-tui, etc. I'd written some
very substantial NCURSES programs, and found the process
unpleasant and the results wanting. The primary goal was making
things like

 https://nick-black.com/dankwiki/index.php/Growlight and
 https://nick-black.com/dankwiki/index.php/Omphalos

look better and be easier to hack on. Neither, you'll note, uses
fancy images or video :). So since this is primarily intended as
a library fit for arbitrary systems applications, I'd probably
want to aim for the "core" repo (assuming that core repo
packages can only dep on projects in the core repo).

Now, a "notcurses-noffmpeg" version in Core and a
"notcurses+ffmpeg" in Fusion seems reasonable. Is this kind of
thing ever done?

> It's well maintained and the author is very helpful and responds to
> questions quickly via the mailing list. It in combination with OpenColorIO
> (which I also maintain) have been used in production of several animated
> movies so you know it's very robust.

I remember being impressed by OpenImageIO when I last looked at
it (2013 or so). I'll take a look into it, thanks!

> Unlike Debian, Fedora is hosted in the US so RPM Fusion exists to package
> programs with patent/licensing issues (rpmfusion-free) including binary
> blobs like the NVidia drivers (rpmfusion-nonfree).
> Only fully FOSS without patent or licences issues can be packaged in Fedora.

Got it, so very similar to the "main" vs "non-free" split in
Debian, except it looks like FFmpeg ended up on the wrong side
of the divide in Fedora :).

It looks like GStreamer is in Core, and that would give me video
decoding, which would be nice to retain.

--
nick black -=- https://www.nick-black.com
to make an apple pie from scratch,