Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change Proposal: ELN Buildroot and Compose V3

On Thu, Apr 02, 2020 at 03:56:05PM -0400, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 01, 2020 at 05:32:08PM +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> > Of course what can go into Rawhide should go into Rawhide, but that are
> > not ELN/RHEL conditionals.
>
> I think this is part of what ELN is trying to address to make all of our lives
> easier.  For the longest time we've had a separation between Fedora and RHEL
> dist-git and that means we double (or more) our work.  Conditionals in rawhide
> spec files to alter the build is exactly the kind of stuff we should have in a
> rawhide spec file.  If we don't do it there then we're doing it elsewhere and
> the work will lag.  Personally, I'd prefer to maintain this stuff in one
> place.

In other words your want to develop RHEL in Fedora. Adding RHEL conditionals
into Fedora is exactly that. I fully understand that it significantly helps
RHEL maintainers. But this goal should be clearly stated in the Change page.
So far Aleksandra denied it. It's necessary to realize that Fedora has rules
against it:

    only macros and conditionals for Fedora and EPEL are allowed to be used in
    Fedora Packages.
    <https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#_spec_legibility>

> Another way I'm thinking about it is the downstream consumption of rawhide.
> sgallagh, maybe you could add a graphic depicting this in the proposal.  I
> view rawhide as what is common for all descendents:  Fedora, CentOS, and
> RHEL.

I'm not against making Rawhide sources a meta distribution. That means when
building a Rawhide spec file in Fedora, yout get a package that fits into
Fedora and when building it on RHEL, you get a package that fits into RHEL.
I already do that by adding distribution-agnosting, feature-oriented build
conditionals into the spec files and then I enable/disable the features at
one place (a srpm macros package or a module macros section). But without
a proper support from RPM and globally enforced namespace rules it's one big
hack that does not scale well and that prone to rot because nobody rebuilds
Rawhide sources in RHEL with every change.

-- Petr