Re: CPE Git Forge Decision

Le mercredi 01 avril 2020 à 12:15 -0400, Matthew Miller a écrit :

> I understand the sentiment but would like to tweak it a bit. Rather
> than a
> tooling project, Fedora is an _integration_ project. We bring
> together all
> of this software in the world and create polished solutions for
> users, and
> we make it easy for community members with specific ideas, and our
> downstreams, to do the same. That necessarily requires tooling, but
> tooling
> isn't the heart of the project. It's okay for us to be the integrator
> of tooling rather than the owner and creator of it all.

That’s a nice sentiment, but practically, the reason why Debian and
Fedora are not interchangeable, or why @gnome is dead set on creating
alternative toolchains, to “free” itself from distributions, is tooling
and only tooling.

You can not integrate at the level of a distribution without deep
tooling control and strategy. You can not replace the tools without
effectively embarking on a different distribution with a different
contributor set.

I am quite sceptical on how much of this can be SAASed away to a third
party without deleterious long term effects. (I don’t say it is
impossible, but it is a huge gamble).

What I am sure, is that the CPE statement “Gitlab is cool because they
will think about the roadmap in our stead” is a complete
misunderstanding of what makes Fedora tick.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot