Re: CPE Git Forge Decision

Clement Verna <cverna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Clement Verna <cverna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> As for Pagure itself, I think this is where we fundamentally
>> disagree.  I think it behooves us to own and provide an experience
>> tailored for our community from beginning to end. That's why we have
>> Koji, Bodhi, Dist-Git, and many other tools in that part of the
>> lifecycle. The packager experience is literally the lifeblood of the
>> project, and our contributors are the core of what makes Fedora
>> successful. Pagure gives us an opportunity to do right by them that I
>> *really* don't think we can do with any alternatives.
>
> I am not convinced that having a custom git forge is mandatory to
> provide an great experience to the community. I wasn't really around
> the community before Pagure, but I as far as I understand it the
> experience was better before Pagure and people were able to do more
> self servicing. I believe that there is an alternative to having the
> packager workflow tightly coupled to the git forge, this is also maybe
> a good opportunity to rethink some of that workflow and explore
> different solutions.

Well, this continues to conflate "git forge" and "solution for
dist-git".

Before pagure, we had a (no-webui) git serving dist-git with other
services (e.g., pkgdb) stapled on.  More self-servicing was possible
because it was a more mature project.  In my opinion, the move to pagure
happened prematurely due to lack of feature parity - a problem we're
still dealing with today, which I think is what your "self servicing" is
in reference to.

Before pagure, we also had fedorahosted, which was our solution for
hosting projects, combining trac and a few other things.  Migration was
*painful*, and there have been many rocky parts along the way, but the
experience now is definitely better than fedorahosted.  It's far less
pleasant than a github project, though.

My impression is that most folks on this thread are more worried about
dist-git and its integrations than a general git forge, while it feels
like all CPE wants to talk about is the git forge.  You can't just use a
git forge as a dist-git: it takes a lot of integration work, which is
invisible because right now it's been done and just works™.  The refusal
to consider that this work exists in the decision worries me.

So long as it's open and we host it, I don't personally care what we
choose - as long as we can actually use it.

Thanks,
--Robbie