Re: CPE Git Forge Decision

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 11:34:35AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2020-03-31 at 12:55 +0200, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> > >
> > > What really worries to me is that:
> > > * using GitLab as SaaS is being considered, and
> > > * for self-hosting, using the proprietary "enterprise" editions is not
> > >   excluded.
> > >
> > > I think that using anything other than Free Software as the hosting platform
> > > for Fedora should be an absolute no go. In other words, self-hosted GitLab
> > > CE or Pagure, no other options.
> >
> >   Being self-hosted is a nice goal, but not important enough.
> > There are parts of Fedora infrastructure which are not using Fedora,
> > but other distributions like RHEL.  We seem to have not problem in
> > using proprietary SAAS solutions for critical stuff.
>
> What 'proprietary SAAS solutions' are we 'using for critical stuff'?

  GitLab Ultimate editon for managing source code of distribution.
We are not using it yet, but it looks very plausible that we will in the
future.

> Bruno explained the RHEL point. To his explanation I'd add, don't
> forget that EPEL is part of Fedora - in fact it's the most widely-used
> thing the Fedora project produces. And we use a lot of EPEL packages on
> the infra systems we (still) have running RHEL and/or CentOS. So this
> is also an important element of dogfooding.

  Personally I'd prefer people wanting to use Fedora packages just
to use Fedora distribution.

--
Tomasz Torcz                Only gods can safely risk perfection,
tomek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx     it's a dangerous thing for a man.  — Alia