Re: CPE Git Forge Decision

On Mon, 2020-03-30 at 17:41 +0200, Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> On Monday, March 30, 2020 11:17:21 AM CEST Leigh Griffin wrote:
> > Thank you for your patience while the CPE Team worked through an incredible
> > number of requirements from multiple stakeholder sources. On Friday evening
> > we announced on the Community Blog
> > <https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/making-a-git-forge-decision/> our
> > decision to adopt Gitlab as our Git Forge and to retain pagure.io to
> > ultimately hand over to the Community to maintain. It wasn't an easy
> > decision by any stretch of the imagination and we hope that the compromise
> > that we are striking will help to allow Pagure flourish and to give a
> > choice of Forges for your usage. I'm happy to field any questions or
> > comments about this decision.
>
> Is there some tool to automatically migrate PRs->MRs and issues?
>
> The only problem of GitLab is that Fedora - for years - was not able to
> package it.  I'm not a able to judge where the packaging problem is/was,
> any more info?  Are we going invest into packaging it?
>
> Please make us 100% confident we are not going to be locked-in.  If we
> aren't able to package it reasonably well, it means that we have no option
> to decide to self-host GitLab in future.

If you carefully read between the lines you'd find there is no
intention of hosting or anything, we are locking ourselves into gitlab
and the benevolence of the the gitlab company, and they ability to
survive. When they will go away we'll be left with the pieces. But then
it will be some future people that will have to deal with it. Good
luck.

/me absolutely not happy with the way this affair has been handled.

--
Simo Sorce
RHEL Crypto Team