Re: CPE Git Forge Decision

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 7:56 AM Leigh Griffin <lgriffin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 11:31 AM Julen Landa Alustiza <jlanda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Sincelery, after reading the initial announcement, I was expecting a
>> more visible and open to the community discussion scenario.
>> >
>> > For transparency, we have published the full User Story list which is
>> > linked within the blog and for ease of searching is
>> > here: https://hackmd.io/@My419-DISUGgo4gcmO1D6A/HJB74lcL8
>> >
>> > This thread is also part of the open conversation on the decision.
>>
>> No, this is a post decision conversation, not the promised open and live
>> discussions *during* the process.
>

> We haven't ironed out the full details but what was incredibly clear to us was that Gitlab was the decision to make. The next step in getting there is what we are engaging in now to get thoughts and suggestions and expect several threads in that capacity from a technical perspective in the coming weeks and months.

But that's the problem. It *wasn't* clear to all of us in Fedora and
CentOS communities. This is why I'm upset about this more than
anything else. This is a post-decision conversation that didn't follow
the "open decision-making process" that you had described earlier.

You've made the decision that we're going to move to GitLab in a way
that feels like we were only given lip service to. You also gave no
chance for the Pagure community to respond to meet those needs in a
way that we wouldn't be required to move to GitLab. I would have been
happier if you had said: "at this current time, GitLab makes sense for
us. We will engage with GitLab to figure out some more details, but
here are the things we considered critical gaps. Since we're not
making this move this year anyway, if these gaps can be closed by the
end of the year, we will consider staying on Pagure instead of going
forward with a plan of a GitLab migration."

It feels like "welp GitLab because GitLab", ignoring that many folks
in Fedora did not want GitLab. It's like the Debian Alioth replacement
process all over again. And unlike Alioth, we have *serious*
integration across the board with Pagure, and a good chunk of it is
not possible to implement in GitLab. Features we have in here were
designed to meet the needs of Fedorans that we will be forced to give
up.