Re: The Git forge decision (was CPE Weekly: 2020-03-28)

20/3/30 08:40(e)an, James Cassell igorleak idatzi zuen:

https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/git-forge-requirements/

> How will information be gathered and disseminated?
>
> It is recommended that both Fedora Council and CentOS Board gather
input and present their concerns in a manner that is consistent with how
their communities work. The RHEL and CPE requirements will be gathered
through Red Hat communication mechanisms and presented publicly via a
HackMD file to ensure transparency in their source.

We published the full requirements gathered from all stakeholders alongside the blog

This will be
published and distributed in due course. Additionally, a live video call
and associated IRC meetings will be held and advertised in advance to
discuss the requirements, talk about concerns and address any questions.

We felt that the discussions came to a natural conclusion for each stakeholder group. I should have returned to that thread and updated folks that we had taken all the requirements in, that's on me, you have my apologies.

> We want transparency to be at the heart of this decision.

Good promise, where are all those? No discussion, no advances, no proper
information dissemination, nothing :(

This announcement is not even on the first position on communityblog. I
was expecting at least the same announcement visibility level for the
final announcement that we had for the initial one: first position on
communityblog blog + exclusive threads on the mailing lists.

I can't speak to how the community blog structures it's priority queue but I opened the mailing thread this morning due to the weekend.

Well, actually I was waiting for those live discussions

> [...]
>> projects that exist under its umbrella. When you look at the openSUSE
>> landing page, the distribution and major software projects under the
>> umbrella are all broadcasted there. It makes it so much easier to
>> discover and generate interest. I'm not saying I love every aspect of
>> the openSUSE marketing. Far from it! But this is one thing they do
>> right that we do terribly wrong. And then we sit back and wonder why
>> our projects fail to generate interest beyond a few folks in Fedora
>> itself. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. This is something we need to
>> fix for *all* our projects: present and future.
>>
>> In the end, I think the biggest disappointment of this process is that
>> it feels like it demonstrates that Fedora leadership and management is
>> not as committed to its mission and vision[3] as I hoped it was. I
>> realize that I should not be surprised by this. Most of the leadership
>> and management are no longer the idealistic people they were when they
>> first became involved. And it's even harder to be idealistic when it's
>> so easy to give in when you work for "open source company" that
>> increasingly uses proprietary software to manage its workflow (to be
>> fair, I think at this point virtually all major companies do this,
>> which more or less demonstrates the amoral nature of these entities).
>> Maybe I'm just an old remnant of a bygone era, but I personally remain
>> somewhat idealistic, even as I have progressed over the years. I also
>> remain hopeful that other members of the community are of similar
>> mind. And perhaps this is a bit of a fool's hope, but I hope the CPE
>> team reconsiders their decision, or at least would be willing to
>> provide more context on the gaps they felt pushed them over so they
>> could be prioritized for Pagure development (and maybe we can develop
>> them fast enough so that we don't have to switch...).
>>
>> I think this is also an important indicator that Open Source has *not*
>> won and it is *not* the default. People who keep saying otherwise need
>> to seriously look hard at the landscape and realize that we have a
>> long way to go before Open Source becomes the true default. It
>> behooves us to become cognizant of this and push for freedom whenever
>> and wherever we can.
>>
>> As for me? Well, I will do my best to try to help develop the Pagure
>> community. I'm still committed to assisting the Free Software
>> Foundation and other communities with using and contributing to
>> Pagure. I hope others within the community will consider helping too.
>> Pagure provides unique features that do not exist in any other forge,
>> in large part because it is driven by an ideal that open data and
>> freedom should be core tenants of software project management. And
>> hey, I hear whispers of new Pagure instances being set up all the
>> time! We're doing something right here, and it'd be a shame to
>> squander it.
>>
>> Heh, the irony is that I started using and contributing to Pagure

Leigh Griffin

Engineering Manager

Red Hat Waterford

Communications House