upstream spec file issues

Hi all,

In addition to the spec file in Fedora Git, I maintain an upstream spec
file and try to keep it up to date so people can take one of our
tarballs and build it on just about any RPM-based distribution whenever
they want.

I saw some discussions about how to maintain changelogs in the spec file
and other issues.  Some of that intersects with the question of how to
maintain upstream spec files.

Keeping both an upstream spec file and a spec file in Fedora Git is a
pain for me.  I'd prefer to have a way to maintain a single spec file
using macros to support any Fedora/EPEL permutation.

Time spent on maintaining multiple spec files is time that upstreams are
not spending on features.

Furthermore, the upstream spec files are generated by 'make dist', using
autotools.  The changelog in the spec file provides an interesting
example of something I don't maintain manually.

Here are the relevant links so that you can see how this works in
practice for an upstream release manager:

The template for our spec files:
https://github.com/resiprocate/resiprocate/blob/master/resiprocate.spec.in

Include it in AC_OUTPUT to ensure the conversion
 from *.spec.in -> *.spec takes place:
https://github.com/resiprocate/resiprocate/blob/master/configure.ac#L413

and make sure that *.spec really goes in the 'make dist' tarball:
https://github.com/resiprocate/resiprocate/blob/master/Makefile.am#L37

Regards,

Daniel