Upgrade tooling (was: Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Sqlite RpmDB)

On 3/26/20 2:35 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 02:00:49PM +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
   previous-release-blocker(s) and previous-previous-release-blockers(s),
   since the changes would need to be deployed in F32 and F31. Also
   note that the last time when the upgrade plugins run code is in
   upgrade phase between two reboots, and the plugin is running
   pre-upgrade code. This code would then invoke post-upgrade rpm. It's
   certainly doable, but seems a bit funky.

Right, requiring changes to previous versions is not okay. I seem to
be thinking our upgrade tooling had gotten fixed at some point to
perform the upgrade on the target distro packaging management stack
as it would really need to be, but guess that was just a dream.

Relying on the target distro management stack sound nice, but is
actually problematic: how do you run the next version before you
install the next version? Sure, you can install stuff to some temporary
location and run the tools from there, but then you are running in
a very custom franken-environment. Such a mode of running would face
the same issue as anaconda installer: it would only get tested during
the upgrade season, languishing otherwise.

Mock has this cool bootstrap image thing now. It seems to me we could use that image to run the system upgrades too [*]. And if/when we get koji to use that, it'll solve a number of ages old problems on the build system, AND that image will get heavily tested 24/7 so it wouldn't be any once in a full moon franken-thing.

[*] Mount the host filesystem from mock and perform a dnf --instalroot=... distro-upgrade on that, turning the whole landscape inside out.

So nowadays we have a much simpler mechanism: reboot to a special
system target without most daemons running (to avoid interference
during the upgrade), run the update there, reboot into the new
environment. The biggest advantage is that this way we reduce the
amount of "custom": we're running normal installed dnf + rpm in a
normal boot environment, we just stop the boot from progressing all
the way to the usual graphical environment.

I think it's fair to say that amount of bugs related to the upgrade
mechanism has been greatly reduced compared to previous schemes. We
still have various upgrade issues, but they are in the rpms
themselves, and not how we install them.

Such a scheme may be feasible in a fast-moving distro like Fedora where you can always afford to sit out the next six months waiting for the new thing to become available also in rawhide-1 version, but it's totally non-feasible in something like RHEL. RHEL/CentOS 7 to 8 upgrades with such a scheme only happen to "work" because of bugs such as missing rpmlib() dependency on file triggers kinda let things stumble through the cracks.

	- Panu -