Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: ELN Buildroot and Compose

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 09:06:06AM +0100, Petr Pisar wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 07:55:12PM -0700, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> > >
> > > RHEL supports building non-modular RPM packages on top of modules. While
> > > Fedora forbids it. Probably this is not a fundamental difference, but a big
> > > one.
> > >
> > > I believe the proposed change covers it in the pungi configuration.
> > >
> > > -- Petr
> >
> > In that case, it looks like this change could potentially fix RHEL if it goes
> > through? Or are you saying it'd try to force that policy onto Fedora?
> >
> I'm saying that the change descibes that ELN will have a separate pungi and
> tagging configurations. And because tagging default module streams into a build
> root is based on them, it can allow having default streams in ELN without
> forcing that policy onto Fedora. Whether it will be so or not is up to the
> implementation the change owners will choose. So far we heard that the
> implementation is unclear.

It sounds like tagging default module streams into the build root
would be _technically_ possible. But OTOH, I understood that the
intent is to rebuild packages from rawhide on the fly, and having
module streams in the build root would cause noticeable changes in
the availability and versions of build dependencies, and would
make following rawhide with automatic rebuilds much harder.

I'm just speculating of course, a clarification from the Change
owners would be welcome.

Zbyszek