Re: Bugzilla signal/noise ratio

On 20/03/2020 13:30, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> On 20. 03. 20 13:22, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> More than a year
>
> I my humble opinion, if you ignore outstanding Bugzillas for over a
> year, you cannot be surprised you have hundreds of remainders in your
> inbox.

Please remember I've given this feedback to the Fedora community from my
perspective as an upstream developer

Most of my work involves implementing features and removing bugs in
upstream multi-threaded C++, Java and Python projects.  Some are free
software projects, some are not.  Then there is production support and
release management.

Making a .rpm or .deb package is important for me as well, as it allows
more people to benefit from and collaborate on this work.  But it is
only a small percent of my time, after all the other work is done.  When
preparing to tag an upstream release, I try to graze over the issues in
various bug trackers (Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, Github, mailing lists) and
identify those that require urgent attention in the current release cycle.

In between upstream releases/tags, the extra reminder emails only drain
my energy, they don't help me.

I suspect there are a silent majority of contributors in most large
projects who are not using the bug tracker every day and not releasing
every month and so we are not familiar with the finer details of how it
works or how Fedora uses every Bugzilla feature in practice.  Some may
actually drift away without realizing why or writing feedback like this.

My own preference is to get feedback from multiple projects into a
dashboard, I've previously blogged about it, with screenshots.  This
particular screenshot even includes an issue from Fedora Bugzilla,
Bugzilla supports iCalendar natively:

https://danielpocock.com/get-your-nagios-issues-as-an-icalendar-feed/

https://danielpocock.com/github-issues-as-an-icalendar-feed/

https://danielpocock.com/github-icalendar-issue-feed-now-scans-all-repositories/

https://danielpocock.com/debian-maintainer-dashboard-now-provides-icalendar-feeds/

https://danielpocock.com/aggregating-tasks-multiple-issue-trackers-gsoc-2015-summary/

In every DevOps environment I've worked in, management have made it a
priority to kill reminder emails and have issues prioritized on a
personalized dashboard for each team or person.

Another side-effect of dashboards is that other community members can
see just how much a particular developer has in their backlog.  Instead
of wondering why somebody doesn't update their package or reply to an
email, you would be able to see at a glance where they spend their time
and why.

I'd personally prefer to see every type of reminder email disabled by
default and people have to decide for themselves if they want emails, a
dashboard or whatever.

Regards,

Daniel