Re: How to fix a dependency to the version at build time?

On ti, 17 maalis 2020, Vít Ondruch wrote:

Dne 16. 03. 20 v 18:15 Kevin Fenzi napsal(a):
On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 10:38:07AM +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 11:22:40 +0100
Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I always thought that one should not call `rpm` during rpmbuild.
Nevertheless I am not sure what was the reason? Probably locking of
RPM db? Can somebody elaborate?
It couldn't be guaranteed to work in the case that the buildroot was
populated using a different version of rpm that used a different
version of libdb. That's not an issue that crops up much these days as
libdb hasn't been version-updated for years (due to licensing issues
Except that now we are going to move to sqlite... :)
(See rpm 4.16 change posted today)

Good point. I have proposed this guideline to FPC:

https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/pull-request/954

Also, I'll ask removal of `%requires_eq`. This seems to be used just by
samba, so it should not cause too much breakage.

Please do not remove it. We need it critically in Samba case.

Anyway, it is strange that the autogenerated requires in samba would not
be enough. There are already quite a lot of them in samba-dc:

It is a long story but cutting it short, libldb is tightly coupled to
Samba upstream and should not be deviated between the build and the
install:

# Force using libldb version to be the same as build version
# Otherwise LDB modules will not be loaded and samba-tool will fail
# See bug 1507420
%requires_eq libldb

Auto-generated requires are not enough for that.

For some of the history see the thread at
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2019-April/133281.html

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Sr. Principal Software Engineer