Re: Fedora CI update 2020-03-11

Hi,
thanks for the update, it seems nice progress is being made.

> ### Dist-git tests support multipackage updates
>
> You can define package tests in dist-git via STR format
>
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/ci/standard-test-roles/

The docs have a "Quick Start Guide", but it describes a relatively
complex case — the bash package which shares tests with other packages
using a separate repo, which obviously adds another layer of complexity.
(The repo we are looking at has a playbook which just clones another
repo with another playbook, which then runs the playbooks from
standard-test-roles. Wow.)

Simply following the procedure as described does not work, the command
fails with "This command has to be run under the root user.". I guess
'sudo ...' might be the answer, but it's not obvious, because of the layers
of indirection. (Should ansible's "become" be used instead?)

The docs also talks about many different kinds of tests... For example
something using docker. In F32, docker doesn't even run out of the
box, so it probably shouldn't be mentioned in any kind of beginner
docs.

In the "Examples" section, there's an example for "did" package.
I copy-pasted that, and after running it (under sudo), the command
does not fail, but it seems the tests failed based on the text output.
This made me realize that the docs don't describe how to check if
the tests pass. (I hope reading the transcript is not the answer.)

There's a mention somewhere that this destructively modifies the host
machine, and using a VM is suggested. But not in the "Quick Start
Guide". I'd expect this to be prominently mentioned at the top.

After looking at the docs as they are, this all seems soooo complex.
Maybe this complexity is unavoidable, but I would love to see an
introductory howto, from beginning to the checking of the test
results and hooking up to bodhi gating, for a _simple_ case, in
particular no separate tests repo cloned over the network from a
server.

Zbyszek