Re: Using %triggerpostun with %systemd_post on upgrades

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 10:26 AM Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-03-10 at 13:21 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > Retrying while simplifying...
> >
> > The spec file contains these two lines:
> >
> > %triggerpostun -- fedora-release < 32
> > %systemd_post fstrim.timer
> >
> > I don't know the proper terminology, but I think 'fedora-release' is a
> > meta package? Since this doesn't exist on anyone's F31 system, I
> > wonder if this should be 'fedora-release-common' instead?
>
> hmm, that's actually a bit tricky, because there's no 'right' way to
> use a real package there. It's canon that you can't assume the 'fedora-
> release' packages specifically are installed, because we allow for
> customization: the 'system-release' virtual provides exist for this
> purpose. All the 'fedora-release' and 'generic-release' subpackages
> should provide the same 'system-release' stuff, anything that depends
> on release-y things is supposed to use 'system-release' (not 'fedora-
> release'), and the idea is that if you're branding Fedora, you fork
> generic-release into your *own* 'branded' -release packages which
> should also provide all the canonical 'system-release' provides.
>
> So...if you can't use virtual provides for triggers, it looks hard to
> do that :/

It sounds like Editions definitely have 'fedora-release-common' (and
probably spins created by Fedora). Right? So that means this trigger
needs to be 'fedora-release-common' to have some chance of affecting
upgrades; where 'fedora-release' definitely won't work.

--
Chris Murphy