Re: Proposal to enable spec file preprocessing step before srpm build

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 at 11:24, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 11:36:33PM +0100, clime wrote:
> > On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 22:45, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >

> > > This would break processing with ‘rpmspec’?
> >
> > With just rpmspec, yes. The preproc-rpmspec tool can become a wrapper
> > around rpmspec aliased prerpmspec essentially doing the preprocessing,
> > then immediately passing the result to rpmspec for further processing.
> > Similarly with spectool, wrapper prespectool can be provided.
>
> Also this would break fedpkg local, fedpkg srpm, rpmbuild, any process
> which creates an SRPM, and arbitrary scripts that we run over spec
> files?

Hey Richard!

fedpkg local and fedpkg srpm support can be added.

rpmbuild needs to get a preprocessed spec already. This can be assured
by having support in a higher layer (i.e. in mock).

Manually on command line, you would first run:

$ preproc-rpmspec <in-spec> -o <out-spec>

and then

$ rpmbuild -bs <out-spec>

if you wanted to do the operation manually.

I don't think that we would call somewhere in infra rpmbuild directly.
It is either wrapped in mock or in fedpkg so adding support to these
places should be sufficient.

Ad. "arbitrary scripts that we run over spec file". Do you mean in
infrastructure or somewhere else? I am aware of the mass rebuild
script and rpmdev-bumpspec that need to be tweaked. Would you know
about any other infra scripts that need to be adjusted?

Or do you mean packager custom scripts that one would use to make
his/her packaging job easier and that work directly on spec file? If
someone has such a strong local tooling, probably this proposal
wouldn't work for him/her. But this is opt-in only so everyone is free
to use what works the best.

In other words, I would need to know what are those arbitrary scripts.

Also, if the majority of packagers like to use rpmbuild directly when
doing local builds, then my proposal wouldn't probably work but I
assumed it's not the case. But even there we can offer prerpmbuild
wrapper over rpmbuild which will do preprocessing and build in one go
to make it easier. There, it's not super pleasant because you will
have suddenly two commands (one which runs preprocessing first and one
which doesn't) but on the level of fedpkg and mock, the commands stay
exactly the same.

clime