Re: Announcing start of DNF 5 development

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 9:00 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 02:29:38PM +0100, Daniel Mach wrote:
> >

> > Dne 04. 03. 20 v 23:01 Neal Gompa napsal(a):
> > >>

> > >I'd hope not, given that we have cross-distro usage of DNF now, and a
> > >couple of them don't have systemd.
> > >
> > Do you know which distros do not have systemd?
> >
> > We have evaluated sd-bus to be the best dbus client available, but
> > we may have underestimated it's adoption.
> >
> > Couldn't systemd team split it into a separate library independent
> > on the rest of the systemd eco-system? :)
>
> It's already a separate library independent from the rest of the
> systemd eco-system ;)
>
> (OK, it's a single library with other parts included, but the sd-bus
> part is the biggest by far, and also sd-bus uses sd-event and sd-128
> internally, so they'd be required anyway. The other parts are smaller,
> and matter more because of dependencies they pull in than because of
> the code size itself. But it is possible to compile libsystemd w/o
> some features, notably without encryption, to save size and deps.
> I don't think there's any significant barrier to using libsystemd
> on non-systemd systems, except for psychological issues.)

Don't discount psychological issues. The original reason for DNF not
being named YUM was so that the project would be free to do better
without the YUM baggage. That had the added effect of making it easier
to propose for other distributions to adopt because YUM has a very
negative reputation outside of the RHEL space.