Re: Ideas and proposal for removing changelog and release fields from spec file

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 at 17:29, Nils Philippsen <nils@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-02-27 at 15:10 +0100, clime wrote:
> > Another thing to consider is whether we want a transparent build
> > system where all the description of what will happen when a spec file
> > is sent to it is included in the specfile itself or whether we want
>
> But we don't have that today: think of macros defined externally to the
> SPEC file and RPM which we use, think of "underspecified" build
> dependencies where what happens to be available and fulfil the BRs will
> be used and ultimately influence how the package is built. What happens
> when you build a package is already dependent on outside sources.
>
> > some auto-magic where e.g. 'Release' field or %changelog are
> > automatically inserted when missing (something like that is
> > impossible
> > right now due to rpm constraints but just to make a point).
>
> Again, this is opt-in. And the way this will be made opt-in is that
> people who want to use the feature use a macro, e.g.
> "%automatic_release", so that it is clear that some value will be
> filled in there. The idea isn't to have gutted spec files that don't
> build anywhere else than in our build system, one fixed requirement is
> that local builds using fedpkg or rpmbuild must continue to work.

Yes, that sounds good! I just wouldn't like too much when a build
system would be fiddling with spec files without some explicit macro
that everyone can see _in_ the spec file telling it explicitly to do
it - like e.g. changing values of some fields that packager manually
specified for some reason, e.g. auto correction.