Re: Ideas and proposal for removing changelog and release fields from spec file

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 12:21:48PM +0100, clime wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 at 10:00, David Kaufmann <astra@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Another idea would be generating a changelog-entry from git history when
>> creating an update in bodhi, and there is no pre-existing
>> changelog-entry for the current version.
>
> But Bodhi changelogs is not what user can read on his/her machine when
> examining e.g. dnf check-update --changelogs. These are imho rpm
> changelogs. So the rpm spec changelogs are the most important.

Ah, sorry, what I meant to say is bodhi modifying the .spec file, adding
the changelog line, and committing it, before building the package.
(similarly like the releng commits when rebuilding stuff for new
releases)

But when I am thinking more about it I think it won't work, as bodhi
would need to rebuild the package then. (afaik it does not, as koji
built it already)

An alternative might be something like modifying "fedpkg build" to check
for missing changelogs and ask something like:

"your package does not contain a changelog entry for <version>. should
we add the following entryies to the changelog for <version>?: <list of
commit-messages>"

maybe even with the option of modifying the lines?

All the best,
Astra