Re: Include non-RPM content in buildroot

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 14:41:34 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 10:35:08AM +0000, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> > > One thing that comes to my mind with this proposal is that we still need
> > > some way to vet licenses. Today, this is done via the package review
> > > process, and in my mind is the primary purpose of package review. If we
> > > started having upstream compatible registries, I suppose we could introduce
> > > a review process for adding packages to the registries to solve this
> > > concern.
> > Vetting of licenses is only one aspect of the review but not its sole
> > purpose. Apart from all the other checks to ensure that the software
> > follows current best practices in software development, we also verify
> > the correctness of the software during the review.
>
> That's true, but I think fundamentally I agree with Randy: if the software
> is terrible in some way but still useful to users (hello, Chromium!), we
> probably want to find some room for it in Fedora somehow.

Sure, but only if it works (correctness).

> But we absolutely need to be sure about licenses.

Yes, the legal requirement merely sets the lowest bar for inclusion of
software: it must be legally allowed to be even considered for
inclusion. So, it is a compulsory part of the review process, but so are
other checks. I give correctness as an example because it's easiest to
understand: if the software is legally acceptable, but doesn't build or
work properly, then it doesn't pass the review either.

Basically, packages do not pass review merely because they use good
licenses.

--
Thanks,
Regards,